Friday, November 16, 2007

Dyelot 54 Where Are You?



There's a hold-up in the Bronx,
Brooklyn's broken out in fights.


There's a traffic jam in Harlem,
That's backed up to Jackson Heights.

There's a scout troop short a child,
Khrushchev's due at Idlewild...


Car 54 where are you?

Well I'll explain for all you young things out there that 'Car 54 Where Are You?' was a tv programme broadcast in the early '60s and repeated by Radio Telefis Eireann later on.

I notice from the lyrics (via Google, I love Google) that Idlewild Airport had yet to be renamed after John F. Kennedy - so that dates it pre 1963 for sure. Not tellin' ya my status in 1963, but I wasn't watchin' telly, that's for sure.

As you can see from the pic they were a pair of goofballs cops, a bit like Laurel and Hardy - but funnier. I was knee-high to a grasshopper watching it but I do remember the theme song (above) and the canned laughter.

It belongs with Wanderly Wagon and The Magic Roundabout in my early TV memories. Oh yes, and Charles Mitchel reading the news.

And Hall's Pictorial Weekly!



Anyway...Dyelot 54 where are you?

Right here...!




Picture courtesy of Fairy Godmother Lisa at TIK. Thanks Lisa!


So our Fairytale had a happy ending after all! Thanks to the Fairy Godmothers of course.

Not a dry eye in the house I betcha.

More progress pics next post.

.

No comments: