Sunday, December 9, 2007

Secret Christmas Project: _________ for _____________





I've just started on a Secret Christmas Project.

A lovely __________ for _________. I'm kinda making it up as I go along, but when all is revealed you'll see it's basically a matter of picking a lace pattern and making a smallish swatch and then fiddling about with it crafting skillfully until it's done.

I'm using some Louisa Harding Grace Silk & Wool which I scored at the Knitting & Stitching Show from yes, no prizes for guessing these people.

It's not the right yarn for the project yarn really, but I didn't know that until I'd started. And in any case my friend _________ just fell upon it and rubbed it against her cheek sighing in an unsuitable way, so I can't go wrong. I could just give her the ball and she'd be happy.

After being disappointed in the initial lace patterns I picked (I usually go for leaf motifs, but they just didn't show up) I finally plumped for Snowdrop Lace. This lace pattern doesn't show particularly well either, it's a tad fuzzy, and it really needs a bit more definition. Plus I had to go up a needle size to get any drape at all.

However, it's more than adequate for this project so Knit On MacNic.

So...it looks like I actually learned something, about the yarn and about the lace. And that this yarn would be better reincarnated as an item of clothing. It's super soft yet silky shiney too. Hmmm. Scarf? Mittens? A glamorous top? A Tudora? Perhaps if I go back down the needle size I went up. (If you follow me).

Because I also got these while I was at it, so there'll be something in it for me after all. Yay, result.


No comments: